This blog post is a follow-up to the post Antidepressants (or anti-anxiety) medication and your psychic connection. When I published that post, I was asked by several people to address whether or not it is “OK” to:
- Consume caffeine
- Smoke cigarettes
- Use alcohol or other drugs
This is a very complicated topic that is debated rather vehemently within the metaphysical community.
My experience as a metaphysical teacher
I have had the privilege of training thousands of psychics, mediums, and healers, many of whom are very gifted. I have also spoken with many more who were not trained by me but are successful professionals in these fields.
Based on my experience, I have come to accept the following reality:
- There is no one right way to do ANYTHING within the metaphysical field.
- There is only the right way for you.
Therefore, the following information is provided based on my experience in this field, but you will need to find the answers that are right for you.
Moderation is key
What I have observed is that moderation is always key. However, with any of these substances, each person will need to determine for him or herself what a moderate level of consumption might be. This is because different people have different tolerance levels.
For example, I have a very low tolerance level for caffeine . . . a little bit goes a long, long way! But members of my family are able to consume much higher levels than I can. Each person’s biochemistry is unique, even within the same family.
Let’s talk in more detail about caffeine. This is a very common “drug” that is consumed by the majority of the population today.
Here are two examples within the metaphysical field:
- I know many very gifted psychics, mediums, and healer who consume moderate amounts of caffeine and report that it does not interfere with their metaphysical activities. In fact, some of them report that it is actually helpful.
- I’ve also met many who don’t consume any caffeine because they find it hampers their metaphysical skills.
Why might it be helpful for some people but not for others?
Caffeine is a chemical that many people use to regulate their energy and their ability to focus. When doing psychic or healing work, the ability to focus is important, so it can be helpful.
However, if you are very sensitive to caffeine or if caffeine is used to excess, it can cause you to become anxious, jittery, and/or agitated. This is NOT helpful when doing work as a psychic, medium, and/or healer.
Nicotine, alcohol, or other drugs
With regard to nicotine, alcohol, and other drugs, I again have come to believe that moderation is key. I want to acknowledge that this belief runs contrary to what other spiritual teachers present in their classes and/or books.
My opinion is, once again, based on my experience. For example:
- I know many very gifted psychic, mediums, and healers who use cigarettes, alcohol, and even some illegal drugs in moderation.
- I’ve also met many who don’t use any of these substances and are very gifted as well.
Again, I have come to believe that each person is unique and will need to determine for him or herself what is right for them.
Using substances to “enhance” psychic and mediumship skills
Over the years, I have often been approached by relatively new psychic or mediumship development students who sheepishly admit that they had a glass of wine, smoked some pot, or used some other substance. They then report feeling confused because they found that this enhanced their ability to connect with their angels, guides, and deceased loved ones.
Why would someone’s psychic or mediumship abilities be enhanced by the use of these substances? Because it helps the person relax, move out of their typical “left brain”/logical thinking, and access the “right brain”/intuitive brain.
For this reason, some fields within metaphysics (e.g., some Shamanistic groups) recommend the use of mind altering drugs (i.e., psychedelics) as a catalyst for mystical and spiritual experiences (e.g., peyote, ayahuasca). (NOTE: If you choose to explore this option, please do so under the guidance of a highly trained professional.)
Although psychic and mediumship abilities may seem to be enhanced through the use of some substances, I ALWAYS tell my students:
- It is important to understand that the chemical can influence the interpretation of the messages received.
- Additionally, the chemical can interfere with your ability to discern between messages that are coming from the light and messages coming from dark sources. (See my eBook Psychic Protection 101 for much more information.)
- The chemical may open the pathway to the Divine, but this is often simply to show the student that he or she CAN access the other side. It is not meant to become THE pathway for connection.
Therefore, I am very clear with my students that they should not trust the messages that were received when “under the influence” until they receive confirmation that the guidance they have received is accurate and is “from the light.”
Additionally, I urge them to not do readings for others unless they are not using any substances. This is because, as previously explained, the accuracy of their interpretations may be compromised.
My goal as a metaphysical teacher is to help everyone develop the ability to access Spirit whenever they want to . . . even when a chemical is not available. With practice, we can all learn to do this!
- When developing your skills as a psychic, medium, or healer, it is very normal to feel a need to reduce your level of consumption of some or all of these chemicals.
- If you find it difficult to reduce your consumption and/or you are using any of these chemicals to excess:
- Taper off slowly and/or seek medical help. Even going “cold turkey” when you have been using large amounts of caffeine can be life-threatening to some people.
- Please seek the help you might need if you are unable to reduce your intake of any substance. Help is available!
Related blog posts
- Antidepressants (or anti-anxiety) medication and your psychic connection
- Do you need to eat a certain diet to be a psychic, medium, or healer (e.g., vegetarian, vegan)?
- We encourage you to explore other metaphysical topics on Dr. Anne’s blog and on her website.
- Be sure to join Anne’s online Community to receive notification when new blog posts become available, announcements about upcoming events, and information about new online products.
- See IMPART’s online Calendar for classes that are currently being offered.
- Visit Anne’s online Store and her FREE stuff.
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.