In the Pacific Time Zone, the Moon will be full at 4:54 p.m. on Monday, September 20. With this Full Moon, the Sun in Virgo will be in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Pisces. To further clarify how this Full Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 29° of Virgo and 29° of Pisces in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most impacted by this Full Moon’s presence.
NOTE: The last degree of any sign (i.e., 29°) is often referred to as a “critical degree.” Although 29° is referenced in the paragraph above, the Sun and Moon are actually located at 28°13’ of their respective signs. Astrologers will often round up locations to the nearest full degree. Therefore, this Full Moon would only be described as located at the critical degree of 29° if it fell between 29°00’ and 29°59’.
All Full Moons ask us to determine if we need to find a better balance between the two signs involved. This time, those signs are Virgo and Pisces:
- The best qualities of Virgo include being practical, efficient, precise, analytical, and health conscious. The lower expression includes being perfectionistic and critical of self, others, situations, etc.
- The higher expression of Pisces includes being compassionate, emotional, intuitive, spiritual, and gentle. The lower expression can include being overly dependent, passive, chaotic, secretive, playing the victim/martyr, or participating in escapist activities (e.g., overusing food, alcohol/other drugs, work, spending).
Finding a healthy balance between these two signs involves addressing areas of our lives that seem unrelated to each other. For example, Virgo focuses on our earthly bodies, while Pisces focuses on our spirituality and psychological needs. Although these seem very different, they actually are interrelated. If one is out of balance, then the other areas are often negatively impacted. Or another quality of Virgo’s is focusing on details and precision. Pisces on the other hand, isn’t concerned with details or analyzing anything; it is primarily concerned with the big picture, unity, and oneness. Again, although these would seem to be two very different ends of a continuum, the center point will actually produce the best results by supporting us in focusing on both the forest AND the trees.
Interestingly, a good example of how important it is to combine qualities of both Virgo and Pisces can be found by looking no further than the recent pandemic. Physical health has impacted so many of us on a psychological and spiritual level. And in order to address the needs of the pandemic, we needed to be aware of both the details (e.g., learning the intricacies of how the virus was transmitted, treatment options, vaccinations) and the bigger picture (e.g., the impact of the pandemic on social issues and even the global economy).
At the time of the Full Moon, the Sun is conjunct (0°) Mars, and the Moon is conjunct (0°) Neptune. This means that Mars is in an opposition (180°) to the Moon, and Neptune is in an opposition (180°) to the Sun. Full Moons are always emotional times. However, given Neptune is powerfully positioned in its home sign of Pisces, and it is conjunct the Moon, which represents our emotions, this could be a very emotional time. But the focus on Pisces does bring the potential for increased compassion, empathy, and intuitive abilities. We just need to be aware that (a) healthy boundaries are needed so we don’t take on issues or emotions that aren’t ours and (b) even though the Sun is located in earthy, analytical Virgo, we may have a hard time seeing things realistically right now because Neptune can bring in foggy conditions.
However, a series of supportive trines may help us access the highest potential of this Full Moon in Pisces:
- The Sun in Virgo is in a trine (120°) to Pluto in Capricorn. This can increase our confidence, support us in eliminating any thing that isn’t necessary in our lives, help us uncover previously hidden information, and powerfully enhance our ability to achieve our goals. We may even be willing to take a leadership role (Capricorn) of some kind by using our personal power (Pluto) to shine our light (Sun) into the world.
- Mars in Libra is also in a trine (120°) to Saturn in Aquarius. This may make us more willing to cooperate (Libra) in creating long-lasting structures (Saturn), especially if our goals involve responsibly meeting the needs of a larger group or address a humanitarian effort (Aquarius). This free-flowing energy could also help us get organized and use sound judgment when making decisions. We will definitely have the physical energy (Mars) to go after what we want.
- Mars is also in a trine (120°) to the North Node, which means it’s also in a corresponding sextile (60°) to the South Node. This could mean that we feel motivated and courageous enough (Mars) to move forward toward our goals (North Node) while tapping into the lessons we have learned from the past or even past lives (South Node).
- Finally, there is also a trine (120°) between Mercury and Jupiter. Around the time of the Full Moon, we may be thinking about bigger issues, such as what is meaningful in our lives and whether we are living in accordance with our own personal morals and ethics. Our thinking may be more positive than usual, but we do need to be careful that we don’t miss important details.
Normally, the above-mentioned trine between Mercury and Jupiter would indicate that it’s a good time to have discussions with loved ones. However, several aspects indicate that this could be a rocky time within some of our relationships:
- Whenever the Moon is in an opposition (180°) to Mars, we often feel irritable, cranky, and even argumentative.
- Venus is in a square (90°) to Saturn. Our interactions with others will likely be very serious right now. Some of us may experience a turning point when it comes to our relationship or financial responsibilities.
- Also, Venus is in an opposition (180°) to Uranus, which often means we can be impulsive, restless, or even rebellious when it comes to our relationships or finances. It may also cause sudden changes in relationship status. The square may indicate that break-ups are more likely during this time, especially if one or both parties believes that their desires (Venus) are being denied or that their freedom (Uranus) is being thwarted.
- Mars is in a wide opposition (180°) to Chiron at the time of the Full Moon. We may not feel very clear about what we want or we may not feel confident in our ability to go after it. We could also feel more defensive or sensitive than usual.
- Finally, see below for the potential impact of a square (90°) between Mercury and Pluto.
If you find that any of these issues are negatively impacting your relationships, it may be best to use the time around the Full Moon to work independently.
On Monday, September 27, Mercury begins its final retrograde phase of 2021. This time, Mercury moves backwards through the sign of Libra for three weeks (until October 17). Yes, it’s time to be extra careful with any details and/or communication in our lives because we will all be mentally focused inward. But just a reminder that there’s nothing to fear during this time. We just need to be patient with ourselves and others, doublecheck important information, and slow down so we have time to think before we speak (or write). And I may sound like a broken record, but retrograde phases of Mercury are important. They are the times each year when we spend time rethinking and reconsidering what we have been going through recently and where we want to go next.
But the upcoming Mercury in retrograde phase brings to our attention a shift in energy that will be impacting us for the remainder of 2021 and into the first part of 2022. Although some of you might want to look up the details online, I’m sure most of you just want the summary. The gist is that we are entering a time when Pluto will be playing a very powerful role in our lives, both individually and at the societal level. Actually, a review of the Moon Updates published over the last few months (at least during September) will show that Pluto has already been mentioned a lot. Its influence has already been ramping up, but we will all be hearing a lot about Pluto in the coming months.
For example, at the time of the Pisces Full Moon (Monday, September 20), Mercury in Libra is in an exact square (90°) to Pluto in Capricorn. But because Mercury will be going backwards a week after the Full Moon, Mercury will square Pluto a second time on October 1. And then when Mercury begins moving direct again, it will square Pluto a third time on November 2. This means that Mercury and Pluto will be “dancing together” for about the next two months.
This is important because a square between Mercury and Pluto can have a powerful effect. The lower expression of this square is that it can increase our tendency to make assumptions, be more argumentative, cause us to become more suspicious, and/or try to force our ideas on others. However, there is some positive that could come out of this square. It can support us in having deep conversations that uncover issues and ideas that we weren’t previously aware of.
But, this Mercury-Pluto square is just the beginning of several times between now and March 2022 when Pluto will be activated. Why is this so important? Pluto is the planet most associated with transformation. I find it helpful to remember that Pluto is the ruler of Scorpio, and Scorpio is often represented by the symbol of the phoenix. Pluto’s influence means that we are about to undertake a period of transition. Anything that no longer serves us will need to be “burned away” in order for something new to be born from the ashes. This is also a time when anything that was previously hidden will likely be revealed, and many of us will be exploring the difference between effectively using our personal power versus forcing our desires or wants on others. All of this will be active for the next six months, and there will likely be periods when the energy swirling around us will be intense.
Rather than enter this time period feeling fearful, it’s important to remember that the Law of Attraction is alive and well. If we are feeling fearful, then fearful experiences are more likely to be drawn into our lives. However, if we can approach these upcoming transitions in a positive way, then we have the potential for our lives to be changed for the better. On a personal level, we will be transforming ourselves. However, society will also be transforming in powerful ways.
It will help if we all fully understand and believe that we are capable of handling whatever gets thrown in our path. We will also benefit from approaching life as an adventure meant to be lived to the fullest, and it will be incredibly helpful to approach everyone with love and compassion. In this way, we will serve as role models for those around us who need a lighthouse to guide them through their own transitions. This may require using many of the tools in our toolboxes (and adding a few new ones) in order to stay calm and balanced. But WE’VE GOT THIS! And we will, of course, talk much more about this during the weeks and months to come.
Overall, this Pisces Full Moon is a time of heightened sensitivity, and it will be important for us to set healthy boundaries with others so we don’t absorb energy or issues that aren’t ours. With the Sun in Virgo and the Moon in Pisces, we need to address the qualities of both signs. I always think of Virgo as the healer of the physical body and Pisces as the healer of the psychological and spiritual bodies. As we enter this upcoming time period when Pluto’s influence will be bringing opportunities for transformation and rebirth into our lives, it will be even more important than usual to take care of our body, mind, and spirit. We are being given an opportunity to practice these skills now during this Pisces Full Moon. And as we progress into the latter part of 2021, we need to remember to be beacons of light that remind others that we are all headed in a new, exciting direction that is part of humanity’s evolution as a species. Structures that we took for granted are changing, but new structures will and already are emerging. For now, we need to use this Full Moon to create order (Virgo) out of apparent chaos (Pisces) and use the Law of Attraction and freewill choice to draw to us the highest expression of all energies. This is how Lightworkers (i.e., YOU!) can best serve humanity and spirit.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable eBooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 29° of Pisces
- Monday, September 20, 2021, 4:54 p.m. PDT
- Monday, September 20, 2021, 7:54 p.m. EDT
- Monday, September 20, 2021, 11:54 p.m. GMT
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.