Frequently Asked Questions About How to Develop Your Abilities as a Psychic, Medium, or Healer
Click the link below to learn more about developing your abilities:
- Is everyone born with psychic and mediumship abilities?
- What will be involved in developing my psychic and mediumship abilities?
- Are there ways to enhance my learning process when it comes to developing my psychic and mediumship skills?
- Can everyone become a healer?
- How do I learn how to be a healer?
- Frequently asked questions (and some answers)
- Are there resources (e.g., books, websites) that Anne recommends?
- How to find the right teacher, coach, and/or classroom environment
The most common reason for disconnecting from Spirit is fear. Most children do have spiritual experiences, but they often become afraid of connecting with angels, guides, or deceased loved ones.
This fear can be the result of many different factors, but Dr. Anne finds that the most common reasons include:
- Fear expressed by caregivers: For example, let’s say that a young child mentions seeing a deceased relative or angel in their bedroom. If the parent/caregiver reacts with fear, then the child quickly interprets this fearful reaction to mean that connecting with Divine beings is not a good thing.
- Fear instilled by society: For example, the child can become fearful due to how society portrays or talks about psychic phenomena (e.g., television, movies, the beliefs of certain organized religions).
- Fear due to lack of support or guidance: This is most often the result of the child having one or more spiritual experiences that left the child feeling confused and without having someone around to explain what is happening.
For a few lucky children, they are able to keep their psychic and mediumship abilities “turned on” throughout childhood.
However, for the majority of us, we need to re-learn how to communicate with Spirit or to at least learn how to “turn up the volume,” so we can more clearly see/hear/sense the messages coming to us from Divine sources.
What will be involved in developing my psychic and mediumship abilities?
Based on Dr. Anne’s many years of teaching psychic and mediumship development classes, she has come to believe that everyone can develop their abilities if they are determined to do so. The process is one of self-discovery and self-development, which will enrich your life in innumerable ways!!!
For those ready to dive in, Dr. Anne has found that successful psychic and mediumship skill development is often based on several factors:
- Developing skills: The student’s willingness to put in the time and effort required to “turn on” or “turn up the volume” on their ability to speak the same language that is used by angels, guides, and deceased loved ones. Dr. Anne refers to this language as “the clairs.” There are many different clairs, but the most commonly used ones are clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, and claircognizance (AKA intuition).
- Mastering discernment: The student’s willingness to put in the time and effort to learn how to differentiate or discern between a message that is coming from Spirit versus a message that is coming from their own thoughts, daydreams, body sensations, etc. This essential skill is referred to as discernment.
- Click here to learn more about this important part of the learning process: Discernment – How to Recognize True Guidance Versus False Guidance in Spiritual Work
- Learning to control the gifts: As explained in the last section, most people need to learn how to “turn on” their skills, and it feels wonderful when we make that connection. However, it is equally important to learn how to turn them off. If we don’t, then our earthly bodies will quickly “burn out” because they are not designed to be consistently connected with the higher energy/vibration of the spiritual realms.
- Facing personal obstacles: The student will need to be willing to work through any personal issues that are blocking their spiritual growth or skill development. As mentioned above, this can involve fear from various sources. However, blocks can include religious beliefs, unhealed past grief/trauma, and many other issues.
Are there ways to enhance my learning process when it comes to developing my psychic and mediumship skills?
Absolutely! There are many things you can do. Just a few of these include:
- Reading, watching, or listening to metaphysical material: This can include books, websites, blogs, television shows, podcasts, etc.
- NOTE: Click here to see a list of Anne’s Blog posts that address many commonly asked questions.
- Attending classes or working one-on-one with a mentor/coach: Yes, reading about the topic of psychic abilities and mediumship can be very helpful in the beginning. However, it is not enough. Dr. Anne finds that using an analogy is helpful. Let’s use the game of tennis. You can read all the books available about this topic, and you can even attend numerous tennis matches. This will teach you a great deal about the game, including the history of the game, the rules, and the background of famous tennis players. But if your goal is to learn how to actually play tennis, then you will never truly learn how to play until you pick up a tennis racket, buy some tennis balls, and hit those balls. This allows you to learn how to swing the racket and find “the sweet spot” so the ball will go in the direction that you want it to go. With psychic development and mediumship, it is much the same. Yes, it can be helpful to read books on these topics, attend lectures, and go to demonstrations by those who do this work. However, it is unlikely that you will learn how to find your “sweet spot” until you actually start using your psychic and mediumship skills. A classroom environment is ideal for this, because it provides you with like-minded others who are willing to practice with you, give you gentle feedback, and support you on your journey of discovery!
- Using a tool: When first starting to develop psychic abilities, Anne has found that it is helpful to use a spiritual tool to support connecting with the Divine. This can be any type of tool (e.g., oracle cards, tarot cards, runes).
- Meditating: Keep in mind that this doesn’t need to be traditional “silent sitting” meditation. Guided meditations are also an option, but so, too, is any activity that allows you to focus on the present moment. The goal is to learn how to concentrate and be in the “now,” as opposed to thinking about the past or the future. A sign that you are “in the zone” is when you lose track of time. For example, Anne does this whenever she is reading astrological charts, but her best friend does this when she’s gardening.
- Developing a Spiritual Practice: Spend time on a regular basis doing whatever helps you feel connected with the Divine. This can include any of the above activities, but it may also entail prayer, lighting candles, pulling a card/rune, and/or journaling.
- NOTE: Click here to read a Blog post called How to Create a Spiritual Practice That’s Right for You.
- Finding a community: If possible, Dr. Anne does recommend finding a group of like-minded others who can provide you with support while developing your abilities. This could be through your classes (see discussion above), but it could also be provided by an online support group. If you are unable to access a group of people, at least find a good spiritual coach or mentor.
Absolutely! Everyone is fully capable of gaining access to healing energy! As long as they are willing to serve as a channel or conduit for the healing energy, then they can be a healer.
There are many different healing modalities available today (e.g., Pranic Healing, Healing Hands, Hands of Light, Qigong). All of them can be very effective at healing physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual issues.
Dr. Anne chooses to teach Reiki classes for several reasons:
- Reiki is increasingly well-recognized and well-respected by Western medicine. More and more research is being done showing its effectiveness in supporting Western medical approaches. For example, Reiki is now offered in hospitals and many medical clinics. It is also approved for continuing education units for nurses, massage therapists, counselors, and many other professionals.
- Reiki cannot harm anyone or anything. It is totally safe to use Reiki. The energy cannot do harm because it is believed to come from God/Source/Spirit, which is ONLY love.
- Reiki provides an excellent foundation. If taught well, Reiki teaches the student basic information about chakras, meridians, and energy systems within the body. If the student would like to take classes in other healing modalities, they have a solid foundation of knowledge upon which to add new skills. In fact, some healing modalities require that students complete a certain level of Reiki training before enrolling in their classes.
- Click here to learn much more about Reiki.
- Check out Dr. Anne’s Blog for additional information about Reiki.
Frequently asked questions (and some answers)
Over the years, Dr. Anne is often asked similar questions by those who are new to the psychic, mediumship, and healing fields.
Although there are many posts available in Anne’s Blog about a wide range of subjects, here are links to posts that address some of the most commonly asked questions by “newbies.”
- 8 Characteristics of Visitation Dreams
- Antidepressant (or Anti-anxiety) Medications and Your Psychic Connection
- Can I Be a Psychic, Medium, or Healer If I Consume Caffeine or If I Use Cigarettes, Alcohol, or Other Drugs?
- Darkness Cannot Exist Where There is Light and 8 Suggestions for Lightworkers
- Do You Need to Eat a Certain Diet to Be a Psychic, Medium, or Healer (e.g., Vegetarian, Vegan)?
- How to Help Souls Cross to the Light
- Psychic Meaning of the Number Sequence 11:11
- Psychic Meaning of Number Sequences (e.g., 11, 345, 777)
- Psychic Protection – How to Create an Energetic Grid for Protection and/or Empowerment
- Psychic Protection – How to Use Energy Shielding
- Saying Goodbye to Our Beloved Pets and the Rainbow Bridge
- What Are Angels and Archangels and Do They Really Have Wings?
- What Are the Differences Between Psychics and Mediums?
- What Is Channeling and Are There Different Types of Channeling?
- What is Reiki?
- Which Deceased Loved Ones Come Through During Mediumship Sessions
- Additional Information can be found on Anne’s Blog.
- There are many different ways to answer most questions. This is why Anne ALWAYS recommends that you “take what you like and leave the rest.”
Are there resources (e.g., books, websites) that Anne recommends?
We live at an amazing time in human history! Unlike the past, there are currently many resources available on the topics of psychic development, mediumship, astrology, the healing arts, etc.
However, Dr. Anne rarely will recommend a specific book, website, etc. She has found that everyone has different needs. Over the years, she has come to trust that students will be guided to the “right” book, website, teacher, podcast, event, and/or class.
Those in charge of arranging the student’s training isn’t Anne. It’s the person’s angels and guides. Only they know what resource is right for that person. They also know when the time is right for that resource to show up in the student’s life.
For the student, it’s a process of learning how to trust their spiritual helpers and trust in Divine Timing. It’s a team effort, and learning to work together is essential.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you start to feel uncomfortable in any way when reading a book, listening to a podcast, visiting a website, and/or attending a class, please trust that feeling. As is true in any field, there are some sources of information that are not “coming from the Light.”
How to find the right teacher, coach, and/or classroom environment
It is important to find the “right” coach/mentor, teacher, and/or classroom environment for you. Dr. Anne has found that feeling safe is essential to developing your abilities.
However, everyone has different preferences and needs, so there is no “one size fits all” approach to metaphysical training. For example, Anne has been very successful, but she is comfortable with the fact that she is not everyone’s “cup of tea.” She encourages people to keep searching until they find what is “right” for them.
Luckily, we live in a time when there are many different options:
- Support can be provided through one-on-one private coaching/mentoring or in a classroom environment.
- Classes and mentoring/coaching can be provided in-person or virtually.
- Classroom size can vary from small to very large.
- Some classes are designed as “come when you can, miss when you must,” whereas others are a series of classes that are signed up for as “package deal.”
- Especially with “package deals,” there might be one primary teacher and additional teachers who present in their areas of specialty.
Regardless of the setting you select, Dr. Anne encourages everyone to find a teacher who:
- Creates a safe, supportive environment in which to explore and expand your abilities.
- Is willing to provide you with information and guidance, while still respecting that there are many ways to do the same thing.
- Explains and teaches you how to feel safe as you develop your skills and connect with Spirit.
- Has successfully worked in the field you want to study.
Start by identifying teachers, mentors/coaches, and/or classes in your geographic area. Here are some ideas about how to do this:
- They often will advertise online. Most reputable professionals will have a website, Facebook page, and/or advertise their classes through online social media sites, such as Meetup.com.
- They sometimes post notices at places of businesses, such as health food stores, new age bookstores, or locations that offer classes in psychic development, spirituality, or new age thought.
- If you have worked with a psychic, medium, or healer that you liked, then ask that person if they provide training or if they could recommend someone.
- Dr. Anne has an online Directory of IMPART Certified students, including some who are now offering classes or one-on-one spiritual coaching. Most of them are located in the Southern California area, but those offering one-on-one spiritual coaching can work virtually.
- And always remember to ask Spirit to guide you to the right teacher.
Once you identify several possible options, Dr. Anne recommends that you do your research:
- Read through the written information available online about their services and classes. If you pay attention to how they present their information, this will likely give you an idea about their communication style and teaching skills. For example, is the material well organized? Can you understand what they are talking about?
- If you cannot locate enough information about the person online, then call or email them. Either they or an assistant should be willing to answer a few questions. If they are not willing, then this probably isn’t the right teacher/coach for you.
- Read reviews. Although no one can please everyone all the time, Anne recommends that you look for patterns. Are most reviews positive or negative? What phrases or descriptions come up over and over again?
Throughout this research and/or conversation, here are some questions to be asking yourself:
- Does the instructor appear to be knowledgeable and have adequate experience to be a competent teacher/spiritual coach?
- Does the person provide services in the type of setting you prefer (e.g., private versus classroom, virtual versus in-person)?
- Does this person specialize in the type of content you want to learn about?
- Does this professional presents information in a caring manner that is supportive, encouraging, and empowering?
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you start to feel uncomfortable in any way when reading material online, attending a class, or talking with a teacher/coach, please trust that feeling. As is true in any field, there are some sources of information that are not “coming from the Light.”
- To learn more about Anne’s classes: FAQ’s About IMPART’s Classes.
- Check out Dr. Anne’s Blog for additional information.
- You may find it helpful to read some of the Testimonials and Reviews from Anne’s students.
- Anne does offer a number of eBooks and audio recordings for home study. Visit our online Store today.
- Be sure to Join Anne’s Online Community to receive announcements about class offerings, new Blog posts, and new online products when they become available!
Visit our Facebook page to receive Anne Reith’s daily inspirational quotes and announcements.
By Anne Reith, Ph.D.