In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 1:41 p.m. on Friday, January 24. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 5° of Aquarius. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 5° of Aquarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
New Moons always provide us with opportunities for new emotional starts and setting new intentions in the areas associated with the sign. Aquarius is a fixed air sign, which means its thinking (air) can be very determined, tenacious, and sometimes even stubborn. Keywords for Aquarius include independence, inventiveness, humanitarianism, intuition, eccentric, and a heightened sense of responsibility for everything and everyone. With an Aquarius New Moon, we will likely find ourselves focusing on how we can best utilize the power of group collaboration to reach mutually agreed to goals. This can help us see that when we pool our resources, we can usually achieve something far greater than an individual working by him or herself. It says, “Let’s change the world” and reminds us that we are not alone on planet Earth.
As previously promised, this Aquarius New Moon will bring the beginning of a shift in the astrological winds that many will appreciate. Actually, some of us may have felt the shift as early as Monday, January 20, when the Sun moved into the sign of the water bearer. Aquarius brings a totally different type of energy than the recent Capricorn emphasis. The mental energy of this air sign will help us view things more objectively. We may be ready to communicate with like-minded others about what we have recently been thinking about creating that is aligned with who we have become. Unlike Cap’s focus on the past, the Aquarius energy is focused on the future and what is new, different, and possible. Also, the Aquarian focus on humanitarianism and acceptance may help soften Capricorn’s more disciplined and authoritarian approach.
However, don’t think that the time for hard work is over! Remember, the Saturn/Pluto conjunction will continue to influence us for a good portion of the upcoming year. Additionally, we will continue to have Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto, and the South Node in Capricorn until March 21 when Saturn breaks the log jam and moves into Aquarius. This means that if we are willing to start consistently applying what we have been changing in our lives over the last year, great things can be accomplished. Again, this could apply to everything from personal habits and/or beliefs to manifesting something that could impact our community or even society as a whole. Whatever it is will need to be practical (Saturn) and lead toward transformation and healing (Pluto). And with Pluto involved, we always need to remember to use our power wisely and not try to force anything to happen. Creating something versus forcing something to happen are two very different approaches.
There are some challenging aspects occurring during the time of this Aquarius New Moon:
- Most importantly, the Sun and Moon will be in a square (90°) to Uranus, which is the ruler of Aquarius. This adds a lot of unpredictability to the time around the New Moon. Changes may come “out of the blue,” and we are advised to remain as flexible and adaptable as possible. Uranus’s influence could mean that we receive unexpected insights that cause us to think about something differently, or we might need to reconsider how we are dealing with our friendship groups or humanitarian efforts. And given Uranus is in Taurus, these sudden insights may involve our property, finances, or the foundation of something that we have built. We may need to face the reality that we need to let go of something that is holding us back from integrating new things into our lives. At a deep level, forward-thinking Aquarius understands that sometimes things need to be upended so a new order can be created when the dust settles.
- An additional square (90°) between Venus and Mars may mean that one or more of our relationships might be the thing that needs to change. Our relationships may also be the arena that is the most unpredictable. Any tension or competitiveness that we experience is actually designed to help up break up any stagnant patterns and bring in refreshing, new energy.
- And the influence of another square (90°) between Mars and Neptune will be described below. It won’t be as strong during the New Moon, but its influence will be building over the next few days.
Luckily, there are other supportive elements to this New Moon:
- Best of all, Venus will conjunct (0°) Neptune in Pisces. Some astrologers refer to this aspect as a “magical” time. This is a wonderful, caring, soothing, and loving aspect. It will help all of us to feel more compassionate toward ourselves and each other. It could even get us moving in a new direction regarding how we approach others and/or shift our overarching spiritual understanding. Creativity, intuition, and imagination are heightened, as is our awareness of beauty.
- Venus will also be in a sweet sextile (60°) to Jupiter, which will bring out our desire to work together for the greater good. We feel more positive and optimistic about our relationships and even our financial endeavors. Jupiter brings in a feeling of higher purpose and ethics. A deep sense of well-being is possible, and this aspect may help counter-balance the challenges of the square described above between Venus and Mars.
- Chiron is in a supportive sextile (60°) to both the Sun and the Moon. This may help us feel more courageous and less vulnerable than the last few weeks. In fact, the sextile to the Sun sometimes indicates a time when we can gain clarity about our “life mission” or our purpose in this lifetime.
- Another sextile (60°) will be present between Mercury and Mars. This will help us courageously express what needs to be said. Our minds are clearer than usual, and we feel a sense of enthusiasm. If decisions are needed, we tend to make them quickly. Productivity is heightened, and we can take an idea and translate it into viable action steps.
On Tuesday, January 28, the square (90°) mentioned above between Mars and Neptune will become exact. For the few days before and after this exact meeting, we may feel confused about our actions and find it hard to stay focused and/or organized. However, if we can let go and trust our intuition, things may become clearer. But especially on the day or two around the exact square, often the fog doesn’t lift enough to make this a time when we should plan out our actions or even trust that we know the right thing to do. It would probably be best to postpone for a few days any new projects or important decisions. We need time to let the Neptunian fog lift. Actually, waiting may not be hard to do because often our energy is variable during this time. We may just want to sit and vegetate more than usual.
The softer, floaty energy will pick up again on Monday, February 3, when Mercury begins its foray into Pisces. Normally, Mercury will remain in a sign for about three weeks. However, this is one of those times when it will extend its stay for over 2 months due to going retrograde in Pisces. The retrograde period will be February 16 through March 9, and Mercury won’t move onto to Aries until April 12. While in Pisces, our thoughts may feel a bit more muddled than usual, especially during the retrograde phase. Our rational decision-making skills are not as strong as our intuition. We also become more creative and imaginative. Our thought processes are inextricably intertwined with our emotions, which also impacts our verbal expression.
Overall, this Aquarius New Moon will hopefully provide some much-needed relief from the recent emphasis on Capricorn, which focuses on practicalities, responsibility, and hard work. There should be a lightening in the energy due to the objectivity provided by the Aquarius New Moon with the compassionate, flowing energy of Venus/Neptune conjunct in Pisces. Due to several factors, this may be a time period when we gain some important insights into where we are going next. Our challenge is to avoid being so distracted by this shift in energy that we don’t continue the hard work involved in creating and manifesting whatever the recent Eclipses and the Saturn/Pluto conjunct have spurred in our lives. This continues to show signs of being a very productive time, but there should be a bit more room to breathe now.
NOTE: My previous Moon Update included astrological and numerological information about the year 2020. Click on the link to check it out! It looks like 2020 is going to be QUITE a year!
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 5° of Aquarius
- Friday, January 24, 2020, 1:41 p.m. PST
- Friday, January 24, 2020, 4:41 p.m. EST
- Friday, January 24, 2020, 9:41 p.m. GMT