In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 8:01 a.m. on Wednesday, November 7. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 16° of Scorpio. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 16° of Scorpio in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
All New Moons offer us opportunities for new emotional starts and setting new intentions or goals in areas related to the sign. This New Moon is in Scorpio. Let’s be honest here, Scorpio is an intense sign. As a fixed water sign, it may help to use the image of a pool of water that is perfectly still and very deep. For some of us, the dark, reflective surface may call to us – inviting us to take the dive and discover the treasures hidden in its depths. For others, we may have a totally different reaction. We may be frozen in fear, unable to consider the potential benefits because we can’t see below the surface and don’t feel in control. Each of us will need to choose how we approach this Scorpio energy; but either way, it will certainly be an emotional journey.
If we can get past our fear, there is a great deal of support for taking the plunge. This New Moon is in a supportive trine (120°) to Neptune in Pisces, which means there is a spiritual quality to that pool of water. What we find below the surface might be increased creativity and/or an improved ability to connect with the Divine. I often find it helpful to think of Neptune as energy on a continuum from fear to faith. If we can let go of our fear and turn our faith over to a higher power/God/Source/Spirit, then magic and mystical things can happen. Therefore, when facing that body of water, this might be a good time to learn a deeper level of trust in the Divine. But as we face our fears, remember that Neptune in Pisces also encourages us to be compassionate with ourselves as we take these steps into the unknown. Remember to breathe!
The Scorpio New Moon is also in a sweet sextile (60°) to Pluto. Given Pluto is the modern ruler of Scorpio, this intensifies the impact of this dwarf planet. We may find that issues related to the use of power may be resolved during the time of the New Moon, both our personal use of power and how power is used in our society. However, sextiles are often described as “opportunities,” and we need to consciously choose to take advantage of it. “Use it or lose it” might be a good motto with sextiles. Therefore, we will benefit from choosing to take a look at different areas of our lives to see where either (a) we need to step up and use our power more effectively and/or (b) we may need to back down a bit or even recognize that we’ve been using force rather than power and thereby making matters worse. Pluto is in Capricorn; consequently, we will likely want to look at whether we are using our power in responsible, disciplined, and structured ways. If not, it’s a good time to make some adjustments.
At the time of the New Moon in Scorpio, there is a wonderful trine (120°) present between Venus and Mars. Intimate relationships will benefit greatly from this aspect, and sometimes romantic relationships can start now, although other factors in each person’s chart will determine if this is a fun infatuation or something that could lead to a long-term commitment. This aspect also indicates that we often feel empowered (Mars) to attract what we want (Venus). All of us will find that our creative activities are enhanced, and we are usually more able to express our desires, take assertive action, and enjoy ourselves in all our relationships, including business and personal. This pairing can also have a positive impact on any financial issues in our lives.
Around the time of the Scorpio New Moon, several planetary shifts occur that will be impacting us for months to come. However, given they are happening within the 3-days-before and 3-days-after “umbrella of the influence,” they cannot help but interact with our experience of this Scorpio New Moon:
- On Tuesday, November 6, the North Node moves out of Leo and into Cancer, which means that the South Node moves out of Aquarius and into Capricorn. (NOTE: The Nodes are always moving in retrograde/backwards rather than direct/forward.) The Nodes only change sign every 18 months, and they will stay in these signs until May 4, 2020. Whenever the Nodes change signs, they usher in a new era of growth for us individually and collectively. I think of the South Node as the lessons that we have learned over many lifetimes. It’s great to have mastered something, but we often fall back into that approach when under stress rather than being brave and moving into new territory. And the North Node is that new arena. It’s where we will need to stretch and learn something important. The South Node often brings out the lower expression of the sign involved, which in this case is Capricorn. We will all need to be careful that we don’t regress back into being rigid, controlling, or emotionally distant. Yes, we can use the lessons we’ve learned about Capricorn involving discipline and responsibility (i.e., the higher expression of the sign), but our greatest lessons will come through the North Node in Cancer, which includes learning how to be more personal and emotionally connected in our relationships. However, the wisdom provided by Capricorn will help us discern when we should keep our guard up and when it’s safe to share our hearts with others. Finally, it is important to mention that when the Nodes change signs, several important aspects will influence their expression: (a) Jupiter is in a tine (120°) to the North Node and a sextile (60°) to the South Node and (b) Uranus will be in a square (90°) to both Nodes. Jupiter will bring a positive, hopeful energy as we move into the new 18-month phase. However, Uranus is reminding us that changes will need to be made in order to adapt to the demands of the Cancer-Capricorn axis (as described earlier).
- The need for independent self-expression is emphasized by the fact that on the same day as the Nodal change (Tuesday, November 6), Uranus moves so far retrograde that it moves out of Taurus and back into Aries, where it will remain until early March 2019. It will hover in the last few degrees of Aries, which are considered “critical” degrees” and intensifies the planet’s energy. Uranus took about 7 years to move through Aries, and this will be its last visit before permanently moving in Taurus. One way this can be viewed is an opportunity to do any final “clean up” or “integration” of Aries-like changes. However, this may not be an “easy process” because the “critical” degrees often add fuel to any fires. Aries is about action, and Uranus is about change. We may feel an intense pressure to make changes that we have been avoiding. Or we may have previously talked ourselves out of certain options in a very rational (but emotionally motivated) way, and now we realize that one or more of those options is the obvious path. Any of this re-evaluation and re-configuration may result in upheaval as the changes are implemented in our lives. Luckily, Aries also brings with it the courage and energy that we will need in order to awaken our inner warrior and hero. We developed this capacity during the 7-year transit of Aries, so we just need to re-awaken this part of us and get done what needs to be done! However, it is important to remember that Uranus in Aries can be agitating for many people. We need to be patient with each other. We will also benefit from finding ways to take “time outs” so our nervous systems can calm down and get back to baseline levels. Finally, Uranus is in opposition (180°) to Venus for the entire month of November, which means that our relationships and finances will be the areas most likely to be impacted, both individually and societally. This aspect sets off a need to find balance between social harmony and independence. In our lives (and politically), our goal needs to be finding the middle ground rather than being polarized. As is true with all astrological transits, we need to make a conscious decision about how we want to approach this aspect. The best use of it is to embrace the social and financial changes that enter our lives this month because they are meant to lead us toward something new and better in our lives. We also need to do our best to remain calm and unaffected when those around us are agitated or even hostile. As a friend of mine used to say, we need to remember to be “Switzerland” (i.e., neutral). (NOTE: Uranus’s shift into Aries occurs on the same day as our mid-term elections in the USA.)
- The day after the New Moon (Thursday, November 8), Jupiter leaves Scorpio and enters its home sign of Sagittarius, where it will remain for about one year. Jupiter always does a happy dance in Sag. We will all begin to feel a return of hope, faith, and inspiration. The highest expression of this transit would be an increased ability to see that we are one big family that can actually be happy if we can begin to wisely understand that it is our differences that actually make us stronger. This is a tall order, but when Jupiter is in Sagittarius, this lofty goal is possible! However (and this is important), the lower expression of Jupiter in Sag is righteousness and being overly attached to our opinions. This is often a time when we see the Law of Attraction working especially well. However, we need to remember that it works whether we are thinking positive thoughts or negative thoughts, so use the Sag energy to focus on the positive! This is also a time when we should expand our minds or experience, which can include travel, philosophy, higher-level learning, publishing, and morals/ethics/beliefs. However, as Jupiter moves into Sag, it is inconjunct (150°) Uranus. This tells us that some initial adjustments will be needed in order to allow for any expansion.
If all of this weren’t enough, later in the month several other important planetary changes will occur:
- On Thursday, November 15, Mars will take a deep breath and enter the emotional waters of Pisces, where it will remain until January 2. Due to going retrograde, Mars spent an extra-long time in intellectually detached Aquarius. During the last few days before Mars moves into Pisces, we may see some “last ditch efforts” to resolve conflicts that may still be blocking our progress. But once Mars moves into Pisces, we will want to back off and actually avoid any conflict. We will likely feel more idealistic and have an increased interest in putting others’ needs first. We may experience a new or renewed interest in pursuing anything that feeds us emotionally, especially spiritual matters. We may feel ready to make some creative changes in our lives. The downside of this placement is that our energy may be variable and we need to watch for possible passive-aggressive communication with others.
- The next day on Friday, November 16, Venus ends it retrograde phase and begins moving direct again. During the 6-week retrograde phase (which will still be in effect during this Scorpio New Moon), we may have had to revisit issues around our partnerships, agreements, shared resources, and finances. It was as if healing and growth were being demanded of us in these parts of our lives. If we had previously chosen to ignore any of these areas, then during the retrograde phase, these topics may have come to the forefront, possibly in a powerful way. Once Venus starts moving direct again, we will likely see an easing of any tension as we all move toward the goal of greater peace, balance, harmony, and love in our lives, which was the reason we revisited all those issues.
- And on the same day that Venus goes direct (Friday, November 16), Mercury begins its final retrograde phase of 2018, which will end on December 6. Mercury is currently in Sagittarius, which is not one of its favorite signs. For example, Mercury likes a focused mind, whereas Sag likes to be free to explore anything and everything. During the retrograde period, we may feel internally pulled in many different directions. We need to be careful not to spread ourselves too thin. And as usual, we need to cross-check all details and have patience as we all get through the 3-week retrograde phase. Remember, there is nothing to fear about Mercury in retrograde. It’s an important time for any of the re- words (e.g., review, revamp, reconsider). And with this retrograde period occurring in Sag, we may be reevaluating some of our recent choices to make sure that they are aligned with our long-term plans. We could also be reconsidering our beliefs or what we thought we knew to be “true.”
Overall, this Scorpio New Moon marks the beginning of a powerful 5-month period of change in our lives, individually and collectively. At the time of the New Moon, we may feel an increasing pressure to move forward in our lives, but we may also feel reluctant because we can sense that great changes may result. We are each being asked, “Are you ready to dive into the pool and explore the treasures that are hidden below the surface?” For some, they love the depths. For others, this can bring up intense emotions, such as fear. However, for those who are ready to take the plunge, this could be a turning point in our lives. There is a great deal of support right now to make changes in our lives that lead to new beginnings. The time period between now and March 2019 is very likely going to be filled with changes. Due to the strong Uranus in Aries energy, we can either choose to flow with the changes or we can exhaust ourselves by fighting against the current and trying to stay stationary or even go back upstream. This New Moon is telling us that all the good stuff is downstream. We would do well to let go and trust in the Divine Process. But these changes will require courage as we release what no longer serves us and dive into unknown and unpredictable territory. Relationships and finances are highlighted, as is how we are using our power (both too much or too little). As Jupiter moves into a 1-year stay in Sagittarius, we can use this hopeful, optimistic energy to stay positive, keep an open mind, use the Law of Attraction, and trust in the Divine. We also need to remember to use our skills at self-soothing if we get overly agitated during this time. So, I guess the only question now is, “Are you ready?”
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 16° of Scorpio
- Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 8:01 a.m. PST
- Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 11:01 a.m. EST
- Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 4:01 p.m. GMT